Monday, October 20, 2008

Rachel's Top 5 Reads

Well, likely these aren't my top five books EVER, but I've done quite a bit of reading in the past year or so, and these are at the top of my list. These aren't really in an order b/c they each played a role in shaping my perspectives, enriching my faith and also empowering me as a person to be just who God created me to be.

Photobucket
This book set me on the wild course to home birth. I had NO intention of birthing at home or doing ANYTHING unconventional. In fact, I can't remember why I bought it. It just kinda came up on my amazon homepage and I was intrigued at the idea of a birth without drugs, so I bought it. I believe God had a role in that because I was definitely not the natural, homebirthing type before this book!
Little did I know that upon finishing it, I'd switch from my OB to a birth center and then eventually to a midwife attended home birth! So, for me, this one is special! Half of the book is statistics and information. The other half is full of rich birth stories. Ina May is an interesting character, having lived on a commune for her life, delivering babies, and becoming probably the most respected midwife today by medical professionals.

Photobucket
This book is a great book for ANY woman who is birthing in the US to read. It is basically just a bunch of facts. It was based on statistical research, as well as out in the field, interviewing research (I can't recall the right name for that type of research right now!). I really loved it and couldn't put it down. I liked the author's style and was shocked at the information presented. Eye opening and a quick read!

Photobucket

Well, I never thought I'd be reading Christian fiction, but Francine Rivers is truly amazing. This book parallels God's love for us, even though we often fight him and try to fix things on our own. The book is about a sweet girl who gets stolen/sold (I can't remember!) into prostitution at a young age, she just had a terrible life. Then it's about a man who tries to save her from prostitution, and he does. This man has incredible faith, she fights him and runs away. But his love is steady and unconditional as he waits for her to turn to him and the Lord. This is seriously a tear jerker. It will challenge your faith and make you fall more in love with God. I made Erik read it and he loved it as well (don't tell him I told!).

Photobucket

This is another Francine Rivers book... but it's actually her Mark of the Lion series. Even more captivating and challenging than Redeeming Love, this book parallels ancient Roman society to today through the eyes of a young Jewish Christian sold into slavery in Rome. It's an excellent story about a girl who has such faith in God, it is amazing. You know that a faith like that is attainable and through reading it, you thirst for it more and more. I really LOVED this series. REALLY REALLY REALLY. If anyone wants to borrow my copies, let me know. My copies of any of these books actually.

Photobucket
Finally, Blue Like Jazz. I don't even know what to say about this book. I love Donald Miller, I love his style, I love his perspective, I love his blatant honesty and I love his love for God. He's so offbeat from your typical Christian writer. So different, so normal, so real. So not in your face at all, while being totally in your face but not meaning to... if that makes sense.
For me, this book changed my thinking, it helped me at a time where I was wondering what exactly does it look like to be a Christian? Do I look like a Christian? Is modern day American Christianity what a Christian looks like? I was feeling like I didn't really have a place b/c I'm not your typical Right Wing Conservative Christian type. Not at all. But most of my Christian friends are that way, love them dearly though! For me, this book said, you are how God created you to be. Be who YOU are and then DO something for God with that. I was very touched by this book and I think you will be to!

2 comments:

melanie said...

Other than the birth books, you listed MY favorite books as well! My Mark of the Lion books are worn out, I read those yearly I think. I could probably quote large portions of them by this time! Blue Like Jazz I bought on your recommendation (did I ever tell you that I finally bought it?) and I'm working on my second time through it. :) I should do a favorite book post! Or maybe I could just copy some of yours.

the ferwerda family said...

Rach, I'm glad you tracked down my blog....sorry, I meant to give it to you when you wrote on my fb but then totally forgot:) But, it was fun to find yours and now be able to watch your beautiful family grow:)